Monday, July 30, 2007

A Letter To My Son

Note: Gideon Lewis Tyree was born to Danny and Melissa Tyree on Saturday, March 6, at 5:12 p.m. Place: Maury Regional Hospital in Columbia, Tennessee. He weighed 7 pounds, 10 ounces and was 21 inches long.

Dear Gideon:

Daddy is being more serious than usual, but I wanted to share some thoughts with my precious boy.

I know you’ll soon forget the limitations of being a newborn, but trust me -- you’re dependent on others for everything. So when you’re older, promise me you’ll always show some compassion for those less powerful or less fortunate than yourself.

Grow up to be open-minded -but open-minded because of fairness and a thirst for knowledge. Some people are “open-minded” just so they can show off. (“Look at me! See how open-minded I am!”)

I want you to understand that there’s a lot of junk you just have to put up with in life -- and a lot of junk you don’t have to put up with. I hope you will learn to tell the difference.

I hope you’ll learn to distinguish between actual rules (“Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself”) and self-serving slogans that the mysterious “They” conjure up (“All’s fair in love and war,” “Finders keepers, losers weepers,” etc.)

I hope you’ll learn the proper time to blush. Don’t be embarrassed by things you have no control over, like your name or your parents or a physical attribute. Show a little healthy shame over selfish, malicious things you may do. Then dust yourself off and get on with your life.

As you learn about emergency rooms, cemeteries, jails, and the like, understand that there are worse things in life than being bored or being teased.

Don’t go cruising through life thinking nothing will ever change in regards to work, health, or relationships. Practice preventive measures and have contingency plans. Where would we be if God hadn’t had a backup plan when sin entered the world?

I hope that most of your dreams come true. Yes, most, -- not all. All of us have some shiny yearnings that aren’t in our ultimate best interests. If I had accomplished all the grandiose schemes I envisioned when I was 18, I would probably have never met your Mommy.

Robert Browning said, “Ah, but a man’s reach should always exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?” A person needs a few setbacks to develop humility, character, and patience. Patience can change your whole life.. Did you know that it took me two years to get a second date with Mommy? Or that it took us eight years of trying to get our little bundle of joy? But a truly wise person can always tell the difference between perseverance and plain contrariness.

People see me coming and identify me as a “proud papa.” But it’s not time for pride yet., Gideon. What has either of us done so great at this point? It’s just biology. I’m excited and hopeful and full of love for you, but pride will come in its own time as you develop into a fine young man.

Perhaps someday that young man will pass on his own life experiences, so I can be equally proud of my grandchildren.

Love,

Dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home